Monday, December 9, 2013

If I Could Travel Back In Time-I'd Kick My Own Ass!

If I could travel back in time like Marty McFly from Back to the Future, I seriously think I'd give myself many swift kicks in the ass. Good thing I can't, though it's a bit humorous to think about it!

Many times I've thought to myself what was I thinking? Here is where my mind goes from time to time with only some of the stupid things I've done while drinking:

You sipped the backwash out of beer cans that had been sitting for hours as a kid? Freakin gross!
You drank brandy with water? Really?
You tried to convince your mother you weren't totally wasted when you were and told her to call the cops to prove it? Come on!
You told 30 something year old men you were in your 20s when you were in your mid-teens just so they would pay attention to you and buy you drinks? Wow.
You got mad at a party because nobody was paying attention to you, so you actually pretended to fall and bang your head on the concrete? WTF?!
You went out into the ocean and bodyboarding during major storms near the pier where sharks swarm while absolutely intoxicated? Smart.
You went to bars in Manhattan, alone, and told men that you were going to be on the next episode of As The World Turns and to tune in to see you? Liar!
You invited men to your apartment-who you didn't even know-to party without female companions being there? Safe call. Not!
You got drunk on the night of 9/11 instead of being of service to your community? Sick and selfish.
You ding-dong-ditched random houses late at night to get a rise out of people? Considerate.
You slept in your car overnight in parking lots of Hollywood without the doors locked and passed out? Lucky to be alive girlie.
You accused your best friend of being jealous of you because you could drink and she couldn't because she was pregnant, all as a reaction of her telling you she was concerned about you and that she was worried you might be an alcoholic? Denial much?
You drove your friends around drunk, all while telling them you were their sober ride and sneaking booze? Nice friend you were.

Oh yeah, I would definitely kick my own ass into shape...if I could go back in time. But I can't. So, I do my best to live rightly today. Now, have I made self-seeking, selfish mistakes in my sobriety? Oh most definitely! As far as I know, I can't yet walk on water! The difference is, however, I'm wide awake and fully present, taking corrective action and learning from my mistakes. I give praise and thanks to God and others who have taught me how to live rightly. I'm not sure I could live rightly without the input and direction given.

I am grateful to have a support system (people who keep me accountable and backhand me with their own experiences), self-discipline and enough wisdom today to where I don't make the same mistakes over and over-having my own sanity and relationships fall apart at the seems like they did in my past. I'm tougher on myself and, also, so are the people around me. Since I've gotten sober I really have no excuse for bad behaviors and for my actions not matching up with my words, thank God...because the lifestyle I was living was incredibly chaotic. The proof is in the residual thoughts of me wanting to go back and kick my own ass!

Looking back on your own life, would you kick your own ass? I'd love to hear your stories!

Video Blogs ~ More Yet To Come
Can't Keep A Sober Girl Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1t9m2R8cJk

Testimonial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbU4Nxk2GIE

Can't Keep A Codependent Girl Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xrR55OpssI

Always enjoy hearing your thoughts and stories. Just click on the ButterFlySober link below to view my profile and/or send a personal email.
Thanks and have a fabulous day!

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to back in time and literally help your foot kick you in the a$$ for these things!!! lol I'm kidding. I have done a couple of stupid things in my life and am grateful for a) not getting caught b) not dying c) not still doing these things :) I love that you can admit these things, some very funny, but also some very naive things we do under the influence and when we are at insecure stages of our lives. Love you Amber Leone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judgement is the first thing to go when drinking. I love YOU Mauricio!

    ReplyDelete