Saturday, October 19, 2013

Today's Thought

Today's thought from Hazelden is:

Independence, like honour, is a rocky island without a beach.
--Napoleon Bonaparte


Who hasn't taken pride in doing something that no one thought could be done? It gives us satisfaction to do something difficult, to lift our head high and say, "I did this alone." We take pride in being the best we can be.

But we can't find happiness in the pride that sets us against our fellow humans, saying, "I don't need you," or even, "I'm better than you." We do need each other. And each of us has strengths, weaknesses, and God-given talents that God expects us to use to help each other.

I will offer my help to others, and in return, I will receive the help I need.

You are reading from the book:
In God's Care by Karen Casey. © 1991 by Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved. Printed in the United States of America. No portion of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without the permission of Hazelden.

No comments:

Post a Comment