Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Let's All Build Some Dreams!

My first dream that I remember wanting to make a reality when I was a child was to be an actress and to live in Los Angeles...and to drive a Mercedes Benz convertible (one of my favorite movies was License to Drive and, if you've seen it, you'd understand).

The seed was planted while watching Dennis Quaid in "Great Balls of Fire". See, my grandpa showed me pictures of Jerry Lee Lewis when I was a kid. He told me a story of how while he was in the Army in Oklahoma, Jerry Lee Lewis played at a local bar. So, when I saw Dennis Quaid on the screen, I realized he was an actor. I was spellbound. Then I found out how much actors get paid! I found my first dream!

Dreams are simply goals, with a deadline. I wanted to get out to Los Angeles before I was 18...though I was 18 years old for 11 months before I made it out there BUT, I made it! And, I decided I wanted to take a tour of NYC before making that commitment. I ultimately moved there, after a beach-bum run to Savannah (another dream I will talk about in my book)!

After graduating from The School for Film & Television-now called New York Conservatory of Dramatic Arts-I had an fulfilled my dreams of getting an agent and a manager, meeting celebrities, and finding a direction of faith. However, I did not act professionally or even with much integrity, because alcohol played such a huge role in my life...and I will talk about that more in my blogging and book.

I finally made it to L.A. when I was 22, to live. A dream to me became reality. By the second time I moved there, now 26 years old, I had fulfilled my dreams of staying sober, becoming a literary agent, getting into Playhouse West, starting three different companies, and being featured as a young entrepreneur in a Los Angeles magazine spread of "Top 40 Under 40"! Also, I was given 4 free tickets to watch DQ & The Sharks (Dennis Quaid's band) play at a small club in Beverly Hills. Though I didn't get the opportunity to talk to Mr. Quaid, he looked right at me while performing Jerry Lee Lewis' "Great Balls of Fire" only about 10 feet away. THAT left me speechless!

Fulfilling dreams is something I strongly believe in. I know, today, that I'm not defined by where I have lived or what I've purchased, but by the person I am and how I can contribute. Oh, and, as for the Mercedes...I did get a sweet deal on a convertible at the age of 30!

The excitement and happy dances of completion...there is nothing like it, except finding your true love-but hey, isn't that a dream, too? Let's all build some dreams and encourage eachother that we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment