Wednesday, May 1, 2013

If I Could Just Waive A Magic Wand...

Cheesey? Yep, at first line sight maybe. But wait till I get into the meat. I love this one! Maybe you will, too.

A friend of mine is very concerned about her young young family member being sexually active and drinking. I responded with, "Oh, if only we could just waive a magic wand to create a protective bubble around those we care so deeply for!"

I could empathize with her pain because I, too, have had many people I've cared deeply for make what I call 'mistakes'. Eventhough I wasn't born with superpowers, sometimes I have convinced myself that I know best when it comes to someone elses' life. As far as I'm concerned now, that is EGO (Edging God Out). MY perception of what I THINK is the right way isn't always right and can be quite hurtful in the end, honestly, if it's not coming from a loving but rather a fearful place. A lot of the time my ideas of how others SHOULD live comes from my very own parents and how they raised me.

Okay, so if God is in control, has a plan and wants us to 'get it', how do we trust that He will handle it? People, including myself, say, "Let go. Let God." This frustrates even me when I hear it from someone else and I want to be the one to fix it! I used to go to ten other people, get their ideas, drive myself into panic mode for a few hours, then come back and try to force a solution. NOPE! Doesn't work for me anymore and creates total chaos.

Well, now what? What works best for me is when I simply ask God for inspired thought or action. I quietly say aloud, "God, I know you're busy, but could you please give me inspired thoughts or actions on this so I don't act on my will, but on yours? Thank you. Love you." Then, I sit on my hands so I don't call a bunch of people, and I do absolutely nothing about someone else or how they are living their life...until something comes to me that seems loving, kind, unforced and non-manipulative.

The moment I'm judging and directing, I'm playing God, and that's no bueno. Oh, and I've done it more times probably than I can count!

It helps to remind myself that love is patient, very patient, and kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment