Thursday, July 18, 2013

Where I Go When In Solitude and What I Leave With

Since moving back to my home state of Minnesota, I usually find my car traveling to the apartment complex where I grew up-especially when I'm dealing with a difficult scenario or some overwhelming sadness...or even just PMSng. Ha! Where I go when in solitude helps rejuvenate my soul, infuses me with peace and brings me back to a happier state of mind.

The memories of sitting in the parking lot puddles after a big storm with my cousins; watching ants carry small twigs all in a line on the sidewalks; the summers of watching MTV while eagerly waiting for my mom to come home and take me out to the pool (always trying to beat my own time under the water); pretending I knew karate by the pool (my nerd side); playing on the playground with my peers; setting up babysitting jobs and seeking other jobs for my friends; sneaking across the field to the drive-in movie theatre; riding my bike around and around in circle to see how low I could get to the ground and actually touch pavement; playing Girl Talk and Mall Madness at my best friend Kasi's house; jamming out to Janet Jackson's "Ecapade" over and over, loving how she yells, "Minneapolis!"; my mother reading me bedtime stories like Stephen Kings' "It" and needing to keep the hall light on as I fell asleep (I loved when she read to me, especially scary stories!); lying on the plush grass of the courtyard, desperately seeking shapes of animals or angels in the clouds; being amazed at how high my cousin Rachel could climb up into a tree; New Year's Eve's spent at my aunt Jackie's with my cousin Leif singing along to all the music on Dick Clark's special; walks down to the trailer park and swimming in the nearby pond with my cousin Ryan and best boy friend Jesse...life seemed so blissful and fun.

Those fond memories, though, remind me to be grateful; change my attitude if it stinks and enjoy the simple pleasures of life. I'm lucky to have had the up-bringing I did have here, and I never want to take that for granted. When I go and sit in the parking lot beside the courtyard, I'm reminded to not take life so seriously and how beautiful life truly is, if and when I keep it simple. Never would I have imagined that a 4-building apartment complex and the area around it could have that much of an impact on my life...not until I started to realize that lasting treasures are not found in things, but rather in memories and relationships with people. I always leave there with a bit more understanding and a sense of ease with the world-and myself.

Note To Self: Over-analyzing leads to depressive thoughts. Keep it child-like. Just do what is right, be kind, enjoy life, be curious and you're golden! Just for today, what would you like to discover?

Dear Readers,
 Do you have a place like this where you can go for solitude? What do you leave with? I'm loving the emails and would be delighted to know more about you!

No comments:

Post a Comment