Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Today, I Choose to Shine!

How I feel about myself manifests through my attitude, smile, way of speaking to or about others, body language...even the way I dress!

During an audition for an agent in NYC when I was 21 years old, I was told that I was 'frumpy'. I was so angry...after I found out what that word meant! How could she say that about me? Who was she? I, in turn, had some words to say about her-for a few weeks! Sad. I didn't even know her. Her observation of me hurt, and I retaliated. Not once did I stand back that day, or even week, and take a look at myself. My ego could not conceive of it.

Ten years later, it still can be a struggle to take criticism, though I've noticed some progress and that feels good. I no longer have an interest in showing up 'frumpy', that's for darn sure! Dressing up just feels sensational and gives me a bit more bounce in my step! The same goes for smiling and kindness, it fills my heart when I receive both, so I give both back as much as possible.

My boyfriend shared with his daughter the other night how people shine through their values and how they treat others...I couldn't have agreed with him more. How beautiful is that?! Growing up, my mother wouldn't listen to me gossip about others for much more than a few seconds. I'd get so upset that she wouldn't listen to what I was saying-little lessons make so much sense to me now. Guidance rocks!

The better I feel about myself, the more loving and tolerant I am; having goals and completing them, following through with my word, being honest and kind with myself and others, cutting out sneaky motives (blehck!) and having quiet time alone with God...the more I am able to contribute and SHINE! 

Today, I choose to shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment