Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Grass is Green Here...When I Water It.

Today, I moved in with my amazing boyfriend! Feeling ready for this opening chapter. Though, it's been an eye-opening week.

The week started with finding out that my mother and step father are moving to Washington. At first I was quite sad, though when I cried on my man's shoulder, he helped put things into perspective. He said, "Well, look at the bright side, they're here now. You can go see them whenever you'd like." So true. To value what I have, today. Simple words with so much impact help me appreciate life a little more. Also, I gave my 9 month old puppy, Sadie, to a loving family. This was bittersweet. I knew they would give her more time of play and affection, and that's what I knew in my heart she truly needed.

Funny story. Back in November I made the choice to get a dog because I was single. Saw this little, cute, black terrier when I stopped at the Humane Society. Filled out the paperwork quickly just before closing and told them I'd be back for her the next day. Now, everyone I know had told me not to get a dog, that I'm hardly home much...did I listen? Nope. I was on a mission for companionship!

The next day I had a coffee date planned for a first date with my now boyfriend. The date was going well, lots of similarities, good conversation...but I had to go get my new puppy! So, I asked him if he'd like to go. He responded with an eager expression, "Go with you to get your new dog? Sure, I'd love to." Little did I know that he wasn't so big on dogs...ha! He was still very sweet with her, buying her a kennel, babysitter bones and treats. He'd remind me that just because I don't eat meat doesn't mean I have to deprive my dog of the good stuff. :)

Long story short, I gave Sadie lots of love and affection, but not enough time. I decided to stop being selfish and do the right thing-give her to a family who had plenty of time, love and a big, double-fenced backyard. On the drive there, she knew what was happening. Dogs are intelligent, or at least she is. When I sat down beside her in her new owner's backyard, she wouldn't give me kisses or even look at me as her eyes were half folded shut. I thought she was going to cry. She wandered off to her new owners after I snuggled her and gave them kisses, tale just a waggin. I felt sad for all the time I wasn't with her to love her over the past months. As my eyes filled with tears, Sadie was happier now...playing with her new family on her new found, green grass.

Eye-opening lesson this week: show gratitude and appreciation for what you currently have, Amber, because tomorrow is not promised. And don't forget that the reason others have greener, more luxurious grass is because they spend the time to water it more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment