Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Mentors Are Irreplaceable!

Mentors are irreplaceable when it comes to living a full life. I need people to look up to, to call me out when they see me stepping backwards, who will love me, unconditionally, when I make mistakes. Recovery has opened multiple doors, giving me the opportunity to learn from an army of mentors such as I've described. What a blessing!

Mentor: someone who teaches and is experienced; often giving advice or help to a less experienced and often younger person.

My mother and all of her friends, sponsors and the old-timers in my twelve step recovery program...ah so many of these wonderful people aided me in building a solid foundation for my life. They were, and still are, my mentors. For them, I am exceptionally grateful!

They all spent an excessive amount of hours listening to me, watching me cry in my soup...then gracefully (or bluntly, depending upon how dramatic my own pity-party was at the time), they'd share their pearls of wisdom with me. These mentors helped me to look within and grow up, all while loving me. Even years later, they are still quick on the draw to give me a swift blast of their intellect, and I love it! My curiosity keeps me open. There is so much I do not know-that I am certain about because every day I learn something new!

For years I mostly listened to women, thus male mentors were rare. Then, in my sixth year of sobriety, I realized how much wisdom men possess when I actually began listening to them. One man in particular, I feel, raised my recovery capacity up to a new level. He taught me about intentions, motivations, reactions/actions, honesty, discipline, self-righteousness, perception and that not one of us is perfect. My mind was a buzz of wonder! I was like a sponge, soaking up whatever I could. He also taught me this invaluable lesson: at my worst, I am a walking contradiction and that being this does not make me a bad person...just human. I was absolutely amazed by how he could know as much as he did. There were a multitude of growing pains in my mind, spirit and heart from all the lessons; magnificent varieties which propelled me to start writing again, with passion!

I am thankful and determined to pay it forward!

I'm curious...how have mentors helped you in shaping your life? Have you struggled to stay open to the lessons? I'd be delighted to hear your stories!

Video Blogs ~ More Yet To Come
Can't Keep A Sober Girl Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1t9m2R8cJk

Testimonial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbU4Nxk2GIE

Can't Keep A Codependent Girl Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xrR55OpssI

Always enjoy hearing your thoughts and stories. Just click on the ButterFlySober link below to view my profile and/or send a personal email.
Thanks and have a fabulous day!

Always enjoy hearing your thoughts and stories. Just click on the ButterFlySober link below to view my profile and/or send a personal email.
Thanks and have a fabulous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment